Reviews

Thursday 22 October 2015

Elizabethan Hairstyles On A Real Person!

    In Thursdays lesson in hair it was my turn to create an Elizabethan hairstyle on a real person and not on my Kate dolls head. After looking at some reference images of Elizabethan hairstyles, and using all my knowledge from previous lessons to create my first attempt at my hair design.
    I started off by sectioning the hair from just behind the ear and tired the rest of the hair back into a ponytail and then started crimping, working my way upwards until I had finished the whole front section of the hair and the backcombed to create heigh and more texture to the hair. After I had reached my desired heigh I then started to roll the hair back to create a bump in the hair while pinning it back to the crown of the head and adjusting the hair at the front to make sure it was symmetrical and getting rid of any fly aways with hairspray, which is when I started on the back of the hair. In the bun department, I wouldn't say I was very strong, so with trying to find ways of using the back of the hair I really struggled to try and create the perfect Elizabethan bun which had to be tight, not big and soft like modern day buns. So to start off I tried twisting the hair and wrapping it around the hair tie, this effect wasn't exactly want I wanted as I felt it looked messy and just didn't suit the rest of the look, so I then looked at twisting the hair but plaiting a small section of hair then using to decorate the bun after, I also didn't like the overall effect this gave to the look so for my third try I loosely plaited the hair and wrapped it around the hair tie and pinned it into place. I felt like this technique worked the best out of all three tries as it sat on the head just how I'd pictured it before I started this hairstyle.
    After my final look was done I made some small final touches with hairspray and I was complete! I'm quite pleased with how this came out for my first go on an actual person, even though I have so much to improve on like how to create heigh with the hair without it possibly collapsing, my pinning technique on how to make the pins almost invisible to the eye, and lastly perfect how I create buns but I'm still happy with the overall outcome and will defiantly keep practicing until I have perfected all my weak points, and create my own contemporary design.
    I thought I'd write about my experience while getting my hair done by someone else, as I thought it would be useful for other person to read my experience if they've never had it done before. Firstly, the girl that did this hairstyle was very gentle and was very aware of what could happen while applying heat to the hair and hear the scalp which was very reassuring and it created trust with that person. While getting my hair done I learned that you have to be very patient with that person if they aren't very confident with hair/aren't sure what look they're trying to create/maybe aren't doing things as you would necessarily do them, as this is their way of learning and you can't disrupted that learning curve. Overall the experience was pleasant and hopefully my partner when it comes to creating our final looks is just as gentle and thoughtful as her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment