Reviews

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Putting Things Into Hair

    Though out Elizabethan times accessories in the hair was a common occurrence in Elizabeth's portraits. Things like jewels and feathers was some of Elizabeths favourites things to wear in her hair that symbolises certain things to the public when they saw her portraits. Objects was also placed into the hair to create different shapes in Elizabethan hair, very popular shapes was hearts and rounded hair. To create these looks like these attifet hats would be used to create that desired heart shape to the hair which could of been made out of lace and jewels. 
    Other accessories like caul caps, French hoods and pillbox hats was also used to create different looks though out the Elizabethan era if you was royalty, however if you was in the lower class you was more likely to plait your hair with twine or some kind of fabric then tie the hair up before putting it in a bonnet which was also a common accessory for the lower class.
    For my first attempt of putting objects into hair, I first started off by sectioning the hair and french braiding the top of the head till I reached the crown and finished the plait off. After realising that the plait was too tight and my pearls was too large to thread though the hair I decided to create a bun on the back of the head and then thread the pearls though securing them into place where I want the lines to start and finish. Although my bun isn't in an Elizabethan style, I thought it was a good idea to combine contemporary hair looks into my first design however I don't think this will end up being apart of my final design, but the idea of putting things into the hair is something I'm very much interested in for my final design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment